Monday, September 8, 2008

Japanese handsets - how they look like...

I am a foreigner living in Japan, and I've been working for jig.jp for almost 1 year now. When I arrived here in Japan about 2 years ago, I didn't really know what I was going to find around Japanese mobile phones, I read the industry was more developed, that applications such as e-mail on the mobile phone were commonly used by everyone, but I had no specific ideas around the handsets itself and how they looked like.... well, I found out that the market is truly unique.

By looking around me I saw that the phone models that I used to see in Europe were not available here. The only Nokias I found were used by foreign people! Also the color of the phones is quite different... in Europe and the US, most phones are black, dark grey, silver, blue... color models are not so popular, but here in Japan most women, but also men, have white, pink, orange, green flashing phones! Also, I would say 85% of the phones are clamshell phones, 14% are slide phones and only 1% are bar phones... (attention this data is based on my eyes and common sense only)!

I managed to buy a clamshell navy blue Samsung phone, and I was happy about it!

No comments: