Friday, October 31, 2008

Origin of Halloween

Do you know why people wear costume on Halloween?
What is halloween for?


When I checked wikipedia, I found it interesting!
It was a big suprise for me to know that jack-o' lantern was originally curved rutabage in Europe, not pumpkin!

Why gaust?
The Irish immigrant to U.S. celebrated harvest by slauting livestocks.
Masks or costumes immitate those livestocks' spirits.

I am wondering if there is any relationship between Salem and Halloween?
Salem is known for Witch Trials.
On Halloween week, people wearing costumes show up in Salem.
Is it because of the relationship with gaust???


Why Boston?
The biggest pumpkin carving event is taken place in Boston common in Halloween week.
The park is fulled with 30,000 Jack-O-Lanterns! (2006 records)
Was it because of Irish community?
It's fun to carve pumpkin and eat pie.
But I definitely recommend to go to the park at night.
It is amazing to see candles inside those lanterns!


If you know some trivia, please add me a comment!

No comments: